Sunday, February 5, 2012

Super Sunday

 
Today was my birthday and it couldn't have asked for anything better. I spent the day at Crowders Mountain State Park with my love, Nicole.  Ava got to go to a Super Bowl party while we had the mountain to ourselves.   The drive to Gastonia, North Carolina is about two hours and the closer we got to Crowders the more fog and wet conditions we encountered. Never the less, we pushed forward to do some wet top roping if need be.  

We reached the top of Practice Wall where we rappelled from Gastonia Crack(5.4) and Nicole climbed Playground(5.9+)  on top rope.  I top roped the arete left of Gastonia Crack(5.4) I don't know what it is called because it is not printed on any of the old or recent guidebooks.  I would say it is (5.10a), I plan on leading it next time I am at Practice Wall. I proudly led The Wall (5.10a) and I was pleased to get the redpoint that had slipped away the previous trip. This route has a bit of a runout but nothing a top rope run won't remedy. 

Lastly, I climbed something that I had been working on sending for quite some time now. Golden Shower(5.9) is a line that is mentioned in the Thomas Kelley guidebook.  I did an alternate start that isn't in the guidebooks. When I first top roped this alternate start it didn't feel very hard but having to place gear on this overhang drained my energy and I ended up falling a good distance from my last piece of protection. I was thankful that it held and that I had such an awesome belayer (thanks Nicole).  Anyway, I ended up climbing the route all the way to the top of Davids Castle Wall. We tried to take pictures of the line but it was foggy all day.  We called it a day fairly early due to the weather not being optimal for climbing, and I wore myself out on Golden Shower Overhang (5.10). 

Nicole and I decided to treat ourselves to a birthday celebration dinner at The Cheesecake Factory. Let me just say that we are addicted to the Avocado Eggrolls.  We were pleased with our waiter Joe whom also provided a cheesecake dessert for the special occasion, thanks Joe!  

All in all I must say that I am a lucky birthday boy.  Hopefully next weekend will be a little sunnier. Maybe the Bald will be nice. Climb On!

1 comment:

  1. What a great, well written blog! I love you! Although-I do feel like you left out an important part of our day/weekend....ring ring ring..BANANA PHONE...I gotta feeling, its so ap-pealing"

    ReplyDelete