Saturday, November 19, 2011

Round Top Elementary Hobby Fair

After working all night at UPS and getting home at 4:30am, I woke up at 6:30am with Nicole and Ava. We dropped Ava off at her babysitter's house and headed to Round Top Elementary School where Nicole teaches Dance Education.  I was asked to come share a hobby at the Hobby Fair so of course I chose Climbing (I thought about including ballet, kayaking, and skateboarding but you only get about a minute with 5-10 children at a time).
Luck Table #13
I set up my table and got ready to go. Some of my favorite highlights are:

"Hey guys this is a Carabiner."
A Carabiner

"What do you think you call a Carabiner that locks?" Blank stares... so I tell them "a Locking Carabiner!"
Locking Carabiner
 "What do you think you call a Carabiner that locks automatically?" Blank stares again. I ask,"Any guesses?" No response. "An Auto-Locking Carabiner!"

Auto-Locking Carabiner
I would ask them as they came up to my table, " So what do you guys think I do?"

Answers,   "You make stuff!"

                 "You fly!" 
                  "You go hiking!"
                 "Mountain Climbing!"
                 "Kayaking!" (really? I wondered about this child)
                 "You do things!"

"What do you guys think that bag on the back of my harness is for?"

                                                                Answers, "For Snacks"

             "Water bottle holder"

               "For things"

"I'll give you a hint. See the white stuff around the edges? Gymnasts use it."

Answers, "Grip stuff"
               "Chalk"
               "Tights" (too funny)


To me children are funny to have a conversation with because sometimes they grasp and understand what you are telling them but some of them don't have a clue... but you give them the benefit of the doubt because they are children right?

It was also Dress Like Your Favorite Book Character Day. Here is Nicole as her favorite book character - Fancy Nancy.

All and all I had a great time but I realized that next time (if there is a next time) I need to come up with something they can do hands on. As soon as I passed around gear they got all excited, they sure do love to touch stuff!

Hope everyone gets to climb this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment