Wednesday, May 30, 2012

What a day!

I've almost finished climbing all the established routes on Two Pitch Wall. The past couple of trips to Crowders Mountain I've been climbing at Two Pitch Wall in the morning trying to get on as many routes on the west side of the mountain before the sun peeks over the ridge. When that happens I've been hiking up and over the Fortress/Gumbies/Middle Finger Backside area and down to Red Wall.  Usually tuckered out we've been hitting up a couple of sport routes and then heading out.  My last visit was a close call on Two Pitch Wall and productive one at Red Wall. Here is how it went.

Two Pitch Wall - Main Wall
1)Two Pitch(5.4)  2)Eat A Pitch (5.5)  3)Two Peach (5.6)  4)Eat a Peach (5.7) 5)Predestination(5.8) 6) Destination Variation(5.8+) 7)Secret Service(5.10) 8)Double Naught Spy(5.9R)
After showing up late due to my relief at the firehouse, I happened to meet up with a fella from Ashville named Daniel who didn't have anyone to climb with either. He and I hiked to Two Pitch Wall and geared  up. I led the first pitch of Two Pitch for the sixth time and belayed Dan up to the second pitch belay ledge.  I climbed the purple route in the picture above and this is where I had the close call of the weekend.  As I pulled past the crack (in the picture) the gear options started disappearing, the rock quality was deteriorating.  I was get farther away from my last piece so I place a mental piece and started up the next section of rock.  As I laidback on a rather large chickenhead, the hold the size of a softball popped off and I was almost thrown off the rock. Instinctively I held on with my opposite hand and came away with only a couple of scratches on my ankles. I finished the route but was skeptical of the rock the rest of the way up.

After that little ditty, we lost the shade and had to retreat to the other side of the mountain on to Red Wall.  I wanted to get some easy trad lines climbed so we went to the Red Wall Chimney area. This was where I was productive. I sent, what in my opinion was a great beginner trad route, unknown(5.6) and I got on what I thought was Spring Fever(5.7) but after inspecting the topo later on I found out I climbed Spring Break (5.8). We were tuckered out after all the trad climbing and called it a day as we planned to climb at Looking Glass or Table Rock the next day. We ended up getting too hungover to go climbing the next day... so much for climbing two days in a row!

Overall not a bad day of climbing even after getting to the mountain late, not having a climbing partner, and only climbing three routes.  I look forward to climbing again on Saturday! See you on the mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment