Saturday, September 3, 2011

Choss-wesome Crowders Climbing

Went climbing with Mike Best yesterday (09-02-2011) at Crowders Mountain and led Middle Finger (5.7) on Middle Finger Wall. I ended up staying left in the off width flakes all the way to the top. It was fun climbing.

When I had finished climbing out of the slight overhang at the top I was mentally celebrating my victory. Suddenly, as I grabbed for the most secure looking ledge, the softball sized jug broke off the wall and sent me off to my first BIG whipper.  I couldn't have soared more than 15ft but it was one of the scariest feelings I have experienced


Bloody Fingers from the broken hold fall on Middle Finger. 

This is what happens on a 15ft whipper. It was actually not that bad.

Mike led In this Corner (5.6) on the Wrestling Wall and found a snake friend living in one of the cracks he was going to place gear in. I'm glad he didn't place the gear but more glad that I didn't follow and clean that piece!


Overall, it was a quick day with an awesome first big fall to add to my experience.  Headed to Linville Gorge tomorrow! See you on the rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment